According to Dr. N.T. Wright (Tom to me), the 8 most significant issues facing the world today are:
(1) Rise of Terrorism on a global scale. 9/11 was a significant event that does seem to be one isolated incident. Terrorism around the global is becoming more of an issue.
(2) The global economy. Like it or not, capitalism rules the day. Even communist countries like
(3) Global Warming. Whatever the cause, industry or not, the planet is getting warmer. The polar icecaps are melting. The people most affected by global warming are the poorest of the poor.
(4) Medical Technology, particularly cloning and stem cell research, is a major moral issue.
(5) “The puzzle of democracy.” Democracy isn’t answering the ails of the world as some thought it might.
(6) Standoff between Secularism and Fundamentalism. These two opposing groups feed off each other. Fundamentalist Islamics and Christians make secularism more attractive.
(7) “Puzzle of Global Governance.” The huge military force of the
(8) The problem of Beauty. In the postmodern world, "Artists don't know how to say what needs to be said." Beauty is not well defined and thus hope is ambiguous.