Sunday, November 18, 2012

2012 SBL / AAR in Full Swing

The largest, coolest, and best biblical/theological studies conference is currently underway in down town Chicago. My wife calls it "nerd camp," but she's not here so I stay up late reading and discussing methodology! At the moment I'm skipping a session in preparation for my own presentation in a few hours.









My initials thoughts:
  • I've already purchased far too many books.
  • The conference is ridiculously spread out. Too much walking for most folks, but strolling through Chicago has been enjoyable.
  • The city of Chicago is fantastic. Surprisingly not too cold, great city atmosphere. The only downside is that everything is ridiculously overpriced.
  • Good papers already given and lined up in the Pauline Epistles and Pauline Soteriology Sections 
In just a few hours I will be giving my first SBL presentation in the "Greek Bible Section":

S18-320
Greek Bible
11/18/2012
4:00 PM to 7:00 PM
Room: S101a - McCormick Place
Tony Michael, York University, Presiding

Mark C. Kiley, Saint John's University
Matthew: kyklos, phylakterion, kraspeda (30 min)
Edmon L. Gallagher, Heritage Christian University
The Patristic Reception of Zechariah ben Jehoiada (30 min)
Noah Hacham, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
The Concept of Exile in the Septuagint (30 min)
Tyler A Stewart, Lincoln Christian University
Lament and Victory: LXX Psalm 43.23 in Romans 8.36 (30 min)

I'll have more coherent reflections and a comprehensive list of my book purchases after my presentation is over and I'm able to simply enjoy the conference.

No comments: